In the 1890’s a small group of about fourteen catholic families of Ukrainian descent came to reside in Auburn. This small group of people felt the need for a church of their own rite and tradition. At first, they attended services at St. Alphonsus Church on Water Street. However, as they could speak very little English, they were in need of a priest of their own nationality for services in their native language. They organized a church building committee and enough funds were collected to buy a lot on Washington Street for a sum of $ 160.00.
On October 10, 1901 their first church was established. Additional lots were purchased in 1905 and 1906. The present church on the corner of Washington and Perrine Street was dedicated in 1911.
The rectory was built next to the church in 1914. On December 10, 1961 a convent-house at 105 Cottage Street was constructed. The original church built in 1901 was later used as a school, with the current school building erected in 1951.